Tuesday, January 26, 2010

::Update::

Well, where to start ?

Last Wednesday when I was in Eugene Amalie started acting really different, and not "herself." I know newborns change all the time but this screaming business was so not like her. Up until that day she would cry when she was hungry and when we would put her in her bassinet for bed and that was about it. But that day... that day.... the screams were endless and so loud ! Screams, like she was being really hurt. It was horrible to listen to, even worse to see the look in her eye and the worst was hours being spent walking back and forth in our apartment listening to music and nothing would seem to help her until she would finally fall asleep only to wake 10 min later ready for another feeding. We heard it all, it's just a phase, maybe it's colic (I knew it wasn't) it will pass. But that mother part of me knew something was up. Yesterday I hit breaking point. I had no sleep for days, and was wearing thin. I had fallen over and hit my head on the side of the fireplace two days ago and Chad was starting to worry. Yesterday was Chad's long day class and work from 8am-8pm and I had no idea how I could make it that long. Chad shipped me over to his parents house so his mom could watch her for a bit while I snoozed. (Thank you Grandma kelli) I had only one bottle pumped so I didn't get too much sleep but atleast having my hands free, made me feel a lot less stressed. I was upstairs sleeping(well trying to) over the loud screams and wails of Amalie. I knew nursing her made her stop so I was keep wanting to run down their to offer up my boob, but everyone was keep telling me, she just ate she needs to learn to go longer. Helpless, I would sulk back upstiars to try to catch a little more rest, which was hard since my boobs were getting engorged at this point and I wasn't able to sleep on my stomach anymore.

I picked up Chad after work and back to the apartment we went, from then until about 2 this afternoon was a cycle of, feed, content for 20 min or so, screaming, more screaming, fall asleep, 10 min later wake up to feed. ( I generally go 2 hours between feedings) during the day.

Through out all this we wanted to just put her down and let her "cry it out" which we will end up doing, but still I didn't think it was just her crying to cry.

Chad got fed up and called the Dr office, we knew nothing was "medically" wrong with her but we needed some professional advice. At her 2 week apt she weighted 9lb 4 oz today 5.5 weeks later she was only 10 lb. He weight had leveled off and not gaining on the curve she was on earlier. During the apt she started to wail for the Dr. I had brought a bottle with me and Dr. Meyer had me give it to her so she would calm for a bit, she sucked it down so fast (even though I had just fed her before leaving the house) and Dr. Meyer said I think we have a case of hungry baby syndrome. I felt horrible, have I been starving my child ! But I knew I was doing everything I thought was right.

About when she started these spells is when a growth spurt started she thinks and my milk supply wasn't catching up to her needs, also she takes 45 min - hour to nurse and by the time she unlatches half of that may already be digested. She sent us home with formula and had us mix 3 oz of my milk with 3 oz of formula and offer that to her.

She drank it ALL
And fell asleep within 2 min not 2 hours
And has been asleep on her own for 3 hours now !!
I just had a hungry baby !

Also she has not been taking naps and won't fall asleep easily at night, we have been wanting to do the cry it out method but wasn't sure if it was too early. Dr. Meyer said at this point we need to do whats best for Mama, since that will be best for Baby. So once her tummy gets full we will start putting her down to cry it out, praying we get this no sleep/crying phase to pass soon !

The sleepy/satisfied baby tonight makes my whole night ! I was feeling so helpless....

Thank you God and Dr. Meyer
Little Amalie I love you we had no idea you were just hungry :(

2 comments:

Bobbi Jo said...

Oh man, Spuddie! I feel so bad for you, because I know JUST HOW YOU FEEL. I've been worrying about you, too, for some reason. I even dreamed about you three the other night! I told Brady after I read you last post, "I bet that baby needs more food." Don't feel bad, because I did the same thing to Brailey Shaye, and finally my Grandma told me I was starving her. So we went on to formula, and it made a big difference. Hang in there, sweetie. I wish I lived closer so I could watch her for you and you could get some sleep. I know how hard this is, so just know that you're not alone, and I'll send some prayers your way, too. It won't last forever, so just keep telling yourself that. You're doing so good! Love and hugs to you, sweet girl...

Kristen Moss said...

YAY! this makes me so happy. I am glad that nothing was wrong and I am glad you figured it all out. what a relief.

I am all for crying out. (it is seriously the best thing we have done as parents. For us and for kroten.) GOOD LUCK!!